Snow Removal Policy
North Newton Township is not responsible for damage to mailboxes caused by snowplows since mailboxes are erected on the right-of-way at the property owner’s risk. Please view the list of PennDOT suggestions below to reduce the possibility of mailbox damage.
- Homeowners should make sure their mailbox is firmly supported and placed as far beyond the shoulder of the highway as the postal carrier can reach.
- Place a 6 to 8 inch piece of reflective tape on the mailbox to help snowplow operators see the mailbox at night.
- Remove snow from around the mailbox, but avoid throwing snow back on the roadway.
- If the mailbox is located within the legal right-of-way and damage is experienced in the past, you may want to consider relocating your mailbox.
- Homeowners can also consider installing a cantilevered mailbox support that will swing out of harms way.
Please remember that higher speeds are often necessary to contend with heavy, wet snow. Taking steps to ensure the visibility and stability of mailboxes will help snowplow operators and postal carriers continue to deliver quality service in winter.